Automatic Transmission Services
The automatic transmission in your vehicle should be serviced at the manufacturer’s recommended service intervals, or if your vehicle does a lot of heavy towing you may need to service the automatic transmission more regularly.
If you are unsure, call us at Northside Automotive today. We will be able to advise you of the condition of the transmission fluid and the operation of the transmission.
HANDY TIP: Remove the transmission dip stick and wipe the transmission fluid residue from the stick onto a piece of white paper. If the fluid appears dirty or burnt, your transmission requires attention.
At Northside Automotive we offer two different transmission services
Automatic Transmission Drain & Replace Fluid.
Our trained technical staff firstly
- Tests drive the vehicle for smooth operation of the automatic transmission.
- We then lift the vehicle on a hoist and remove the service drain plug allowing the removal of the fluid.
- The drain plug contains a magnet. (This is checked for metal fragments.)
(Only If the transmission appears to be in serviceable order)
- We then replace the service plug along with a new sealing washer and refill the transmission with the correct fluid.
- The vehicle is then test driven again checking for correct operation.
WARNING: Never attempt to change the transmission fluid yourself unless you know the correct fluid type for replacement. Incorrect fluid replacement can seriously damage your automatic transmission. Some newer vehicles have removed filler ports to prevent this from occurring as transmissions are expensive to replace and topping up the transmission with the incorrect fluid will cause major damage to its seals and dramatically reduce its operating capacity.
Automatic Transmission Fluid, Filter, Gasket, Replacement and Band Adjustment if Necessary
Again our technical staff firstly,
- Test drive the vehicle checking for correct shift operation and slippage.
- We then lift the vehicle on a hoist and prepare the transmission pan for removal.
- The drain plug is then removed and the fluid is then checked and disposed of in accordance with strict environmental laws.
- After the area has been spotlessly cleaned, the pan studs are then unscrewed allowing for the removal and inspection of the internal base of the pan for metallic deposits.
- The filter is then removed, inspected and replaced with a new unit.
- If bands are able to be adjusted this is then carried out to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- The old pan gasket is replaced and the pan is then bolted back to the gearbox housing.
- We then refill the transmission using the correct fluid as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
- The vehicle is again road tested for correct operation of the transmission.
Over recent years transmissions have been incorporated into the vehicles on board computer system, this ensures the best possible life for the transmission if it is serviced at the intervals recommended by the manufacturer,
Should the transmission be serviced incorrectly the computer may inhibit the transmission from operating to its best capability, causing you a loss of power and an increase in operating costs.
If you experience any change in how your transmission operates.
- A roughness in operation,
- Slipping in drive
- Difficulty in selecting gears
- Visible leak of fluid
It is advisable to have it inspected and reported on as soon as possible as early detection and repair will reduce the risk of further damage.
LATEST MOTORING TIP
All of us have experienced that heart-breaking moment when a loose stone decides to wreak havoc with your windscreen. It is commonplace for your windscreen to have a crack or chip, but how do you know what kind of repairs it demands? It depends what kind of damage has...
When it comes to your tyres, you know they are an essential part of your car. However, when the time rolls around to replace them, the cost can often take a large chunk out of your earnings. These days even the cheaper brand of tyres can be quite dear. So, one can’t...
When your fuel light pops on, it is common to ask yourself, how far can I drive till the car stalls? It’s important to know more about the fuel light mechanics in order to make a wise decision when this issue comes about, because frankly who wants to have to walk to...