Car Air Conditioning Repairs and Service
My car air conditioning system works, so why should I have it serviced?
Servicing is all about preventative maintenance and the same applies to the air conditioning system in your car. When an air conditioning system is operating corrosive acids are produced. The receiver dryer is part of the system and is designed to collect these acids, along with moisture. It’s a bit like a filter that is capable of removing moisture from the atmosphere.
As the build up of contaminates in the receiver dryer increases, its ability to do its job decreases and eventually the corrosive acids in the air conditioning system damage other component parts. Because this corrosion is occurring on the internal surfaces of these parts it is impossible to accurately determine what parts of the system will fail next.
That’s why you need to service your car air conditioning system every two years, before this uncontrolled corrosion takes place and damages the condenser, compressor, evaporator and other parts of the system.
HANDY TIP: Turn your vehicle’s air conditioner on for a few minutes every week or so, even in winter. This will lubricate the seals in the compressor and prolong its operational life.
At Northside Automotive, our licensed air conditioning technical staff will perform car air conditioning service in accordance with strict government environmental laws.
- We inspect the air conditioning drive belt and idler tension pulley for cracks or damage.
- Check the temperature of the air omitted from the dash vents with a thermometer and visually inspect all of the component parts of the system for signs of gas escaping into the atmosphere.
- Check proper operation of the compressor and other component parts prior to service.
- Test the system for leaks and then evacuate the refrigerant in its entirety.
- Replace the receiver dryer and if required the TX valve, with new approved parts
- Recharge the system using the appropriate refrigerant to the exact system capacity.
- We will then recheck the system making sure that it operates correctly delivering cool fresh air while you drive.
Why must this be done?
Because the gas used in an air conditioning system, if released into the atmosphere is ozone depleting.
LATEST MOTORING TIP
Servicing your car is important not only to keep the car running smoothly without problems but if you have a new car it is beneficial to keep on top of services to retain the manufacturer’s warranty; and if you want to sell your car in future dealers and buyers want...
Buying a new car does not necessarily mean purchasing a brand new one from a dealership. The used car industry is a booming market and many people look towards purchasing a second hand car. Second hand cars are suitable for a lot of people, with the main reason being...
Taking the family out for the day to the beach is an exciting time for all. The sunshine, the sand, and the water. If you are in a position to take your car onto the beach – why not? Of course, if you are planning on taking your car driving on the beach, there are...